Monday, June 1, 2009

Summer Camp

It's official: I'm going to summer camp.

I'm looking forward to it, but I still have this anxious feeling every time I think about it. I'm not quite sure what's bothering me. Really, nothing should be. Everyone I talk to assures me that it's a safe, accepting, open environment. It's a great place to build and deepen relationships with people.

But, have I just stumbled on my problem? Let's explore.

It's ten days camping with a group of about 80 people.
Each day there are workshops/gatherings/discussions/exercises/whatever with the goal of building deeper and stronger relationships with the people around us.

I suppose I'm feeling pressure to make this happen, like I'm supposed to bond with someone.
I know this will happen on it's own. I spent many a week at summer camps as a kid, so I know what camp friends are. These were relationships which developed naturally, slowly, and on their own.

But at this summer camp, I get the feeling that some relationships will be forced upon me.

I also know that's not going to happen. I am constantly at choice while at camp.

Hell, I'm at choice now.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you will post these thoughts to the sc09 email list?

    ReplyDelete